Our goal is to enhance diverse participation of BIPOC students in engineering in Massachusetts AND to develop multiple pathways of success by enhancing the supportive culture of a broad coalition of partners.
What is PATHS?
PATHS is a newly forming coalition formed by two minority serving institutions, UMASS Boston and Bunker Hill Community College. We are academia, non-profits, governments, and industry. We are institutions and individuals. With funding from NASA, we are collectively working to increase diversity in engineering in Massachusetts. We support students to explore STEM activities, persist through the barriers by finding a path that works for them, and change the status quo. We work across Massachusetts to create real opportunity with real outcomes for students, employees, and employers.
- Building a supportive network of partner organizations and individuals who work collectively to diversify engineering.
- Collecting common metrics among partners to establish a baseline, identify gaps, and broaden participation among the PATHS coalition.
- Elevating storytelling to communicate student perspectives, educate decision-makers, and inspire advocates to grow the supportive network of mentors and employers
- Promoting, enhancing, and developing authentic experiences for students to engage in engineering and NASA experiences at key junctures in their career pathways.
- Building a sense of belonging among diverse engineering students and professionals by connecting peers and mentors and building community across organizations.